Re: [LUG] [Bulk] printer recomendation needed

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:01:15 +0000, viv <viv.griffin@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 21:38 +0000, Dave Morgan wrote:
>> Having order Mum's Xmas pressie (An Asus eee pc !!! - she has
>> been going on about doing her family history research on the
>> interweb for month's and I have already set up a Gmail account
>> for her, but not told here about it yet), I am now looking for an
>> after-xmas pressie -
>>
>> A Wireless all-in-one printer that works well with Linux and is
>> not too expensive (< 200 quid).
>>
>> I was looking at the Lexmarks that Tesco sell
>> http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999711$4294965650/Nr.99.aspx - most
>> likely the X4850, but could find nothing on Google that said they
>> worked with Linux.
>>
>> Any recommendation on printers to look at (or avoid)?
>>
>> Given that Mum can barely run the TV remote control, it is going
>> to be an interesting Xmas :-)
>>
>> best regards
>> Dave
>> --
>> http://www.morgad.co.uk/index.html
>> DP: http://www.pgdp.net   NTP: http://www.pool.ntp.org
>> L&B: http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk
>>
>I have always used an HP PSC 1410. It is fully supported under Ubuntu /
>Kubuntu and I have never had a problem with any of it's functionality.
>Connectivity wise, it is USB only - it is a printer, copier, scanner -
>no fax.
>
>There is a bigger, wireless model :
>
>the HP Photosmart C6180 - Wireless Printer, Scanner, Copier & Fax.
>
>I have not tried this myself so, you would need to check compatibility.

For the record
I have ended up paying 199 quid at PC world for a HP C7280 :-)
(about the same price as a ex-demo unit on Ebay)

I have some minor issues with graphical pdf's not printing the
size I want, and the document feeder for the scanner won't handle
the thick and rough paper from 90 year-old book I tried putting
through it :-) But boy is it fast, 2 or 3 seconds a page! I am
running it in fast draft mode to save ink, and forgot to pop up
the stop at the end of the print tray, the first sheet of paper
flew half-way across the room!

As noted elsewhere, do NOT install it using the CUPS > add
printer route. Install the HP printing tools (current version in
Debian works fine), open the HP toolkit and let it add the
printer to CUPS.

I got the wireless network running fine, but it took me 10
minutes to add the SSID and Password via their interface. If I
was doing it again I would just plug a network cable in and point
my web browser at the printers IP address, as the web interface
is much easier to use. (and switch back to wireless mode
afterwards)

One major negative, the control panel uses blue LED's. I *HATE*
blue LED's!

best regards
Dave
--