Re: [LUG] rsync over ssh permissions

> > I'm trying to make a backup of my server using rsync over ssh. Direct
> > root logins are not permitted on either machine, but this presents a
> > problem. I need to have root perms on the server so that I can see all
> > the files to backup. But I also need root perms on the machine to which
> > the backups are being made so that the ownership of files is preserved.
>
> Use tar to archive the data to be backed up, then rsync the tar file.. this
> way permissions and ownership flags are maintained.

The problem with that is rsync does an incremental copy (only those files that
have changed). tarring them all together prevents this from working, so you
will always have a worst case data transfer. I use rsync for keeping 70Gb of
image files in sync, and this would be significantly slower if I tarred them
all together :)

It depends what your backups look like.