[LUG] rsync over ssh permissions

Hello everyone (and Happy New Year).

I'm trying to make a backup of my server using rsync over ssh. Direct
root logins are not permitted on either machine, but this presents a
problem. I need to have root perms on the server so that I can see all
the files to backup. But I also need root perms on the machine to which
the backups are being made so that the ownership of files is preserved.

Any ideas how to overcome this one?

Actually I sometimes have a similar problem with scp, where I want to
copy a config file or similar from one machine to another, but can't
because I don't have direct root login.

Is there any way to tell scp, rsync, etc to ssh into the machine and
then 'su' (asking for the password of course)?

Thanks in advance.
Simon