Re: [LUG] Parallels VM

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 09:20 +0000, wrote:

> Posted by "Tom Moore" <aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Happy new year to each and all.
> I'm having trouble getting parallels to connect to USB periferals.  I get 'Unable
> to connect USB device to virtual machine!'  I know it is a permissions problem
> because it works okay from root.  Am using suse 10.0 which parallels says is
> compatable.  Gonna need some fairly simple instructions!
>
> Here is /etc/fstab file
>
> /dev/sda2            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 1
> /dev/sda3            /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
> /dev/sda1            swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
> proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
> sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
> usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      devgid=1000,devmode=0664
>          0 0
> devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
> /dev/sda4            /data1               auto       noauto,user           0 0
> /dev/dvdram          /media/dvdram        subfs
> noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
> /dev/fd0             /media/floppy        subfs
> noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
> none                 /subdomain       subdomainfs noauto         0 0
> ~
> And here is /etc/group file which does not seem to mention usb?
>
> video:x:33:aaron
> games:x:40:
> xok:x:41:
> trusted:x:42:
> modem:x:43:
> named:!:44:
> ftp:x:49:
> postfix:!:51:
> maildrop:!:59:
> man:x:62:
> sshd:!:65:
> mailman:!:67:
> ldap:!:70:
> ntadmin:!:71:
> messagebus:!:101:
> haldaemon:!:102:
> privoxy:!:103:
> quagga:!:104:
> radiusd:!:105:
> tomcat:!:106:
> nobody:x:65533:
> nogroup:x:65534:nobody
> users:x:100:
> "/etc/group" 45L, 574C
>
> Any help would set my new year on a fair wind
> Thanx
> Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I've never really used Parallels much (I prefer a genuine install, but I can see how
having multiple OSs running concurrently is a good idea), but are you running the
Parallels application on a Linux machine?  If so, it might be a permissions thing
for the USB devices themselves on the host OS rather than the guest OS.

Cheers.
Grant.