Re: [LUG] How long should it take DD to clone a hard drive?

On 16/12/2007, Jason Witcher <jaydoubleyou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a Maxtor 160GB drive in my main machine, but it was getting a bit flaky - a couple of times it has come up with the 'disk boot error insert system disc' error (which a reboot usually sorts, but I want to sort it before it dies permanently!), so I've bought another 160GB drive and am using DD to copy the original contents over.
My question is, how long should it take to copy a full disk? I'm doing it from a terminal window in a Helix boot CD, using the command dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdd bs=1024 (where hda is the original disk, hdd the new one), with the original as master on the 1st IDE channel and the new disk as slave on the 2nd (I would have made it the master but can't reach the jumper on the DVD writer without dismantling the whole PC!). The PC has an AMD Athlon 64 bit 2GHz processor and 1GB of memory.
It's been going for about 4 hours so far with the CPU bar at the bottom maxed out so I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the process has hung (the PC itself is fine, being a Live CD it's slow, but the mouse moves around OK). Saying that, I'll probably post this and it'll pop up saying it's finished...
Jason

OK, ignore the above, it's finished - the answer is about 4 and a half hours if anyone's considering doing the same thing!
Jason