Re: [LUG] Linux PHP editor

sandydesu@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Posted by "Sandy  Lee" <sandydesu@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Could anyone recommend something good for doing php coding with, either an editor or
an IDE. I am after something that can do:

1) Line numbering.
2) A “balance braces� feature, a feature that finds the matching parenthesis,
bracket, or brace in code.
3) PHP syntax coloring.
4) PHP code hints.

Any recommendations or something that everyone uses?

VIM! ;)

1) line numbers in the status bar, and I'm pretty sure you can enable line numbering down the side if you so wish (though I can't see why)- actually vim has a much miore useful feature- in command mode type the line number and then 'G' and you go straight to the line. 2) vim will highlight pairs of braces when you move over them. Also, move to a brace, hit %, now you're on the matching one.
3) vim has the best syntax highlighting I think.
4) I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. vim will highlight reserved words for you. I just use the web reference- it's much more helpful and much more up to date.