Re: [LUG] Debian install messing with disk partitions

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:54 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:39:52 +0000, John Horne wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a test PC with an 80GB disk in it. The current partitioning is:
> >
> >    primary partition 1: NetBSD (10GB)
> >                      2: OpenSUSE (10GB)
> >                      3) swap (1GB)
> >    extended partition 4) 50GB
> >    logical partition 5) [Debian] (10GB)
> >
> > I am trying to install Debian 4.0r1 into the logical
> > partition /dev/hda5. However, the installer seems to always repartition
> > the disk such that the extended partition is the same size as hda5 (i.e.
> > 10GB). This then means that I cannot add any further logical partitions.
> >
> > I have tried skipping the disk partitioning section by manually
> > (re-)partitioning the extended/logical partitions, and formatting hde5.
> > However, there seems to be no way around having the installer write the
> > changes to the disk, and hence repartition it again.
> >
> > Does anyone know a way around this? I already have the disk partitioned,
> > I just want to tell the installer to use hda5 (as root), reformat it if
> > it wants to, but to leave everything else alone.
> >

> Try switching to another console (ALT+F2) and using fdisk manually to
> create an extended partition in the remaining 50GB and a single logical
> partition of 10GB within it.  Then switch back to the installer (ALT+F1)
> and tell the partitioner to use manual partitioning scheme, select the
> partition you've just created and tell it to use it as /, let it create the
> filesystem and then continue the installation.

Tried that - no joy. You cannot 'escape' the partitioning process
without clicking on the "write changes to the disk" button. At that
point it repartitions the disk despite nowhere having told it to! If I
select 'go back' it takes me to the installer menu, but if I try and
skip the disk partitioning bit completely then the installer always
takes me back when it tries to start installing packages.

> You might want to start the installer in "expert" mode to give you greater
> control over the process.

Okay, I'll try that.

John.