Re: [LUG] re Linux Format Articles

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On 3/12/2007, "viv" wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:43 +0000, John Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> I would be happy to buy the CD as I would be able to dispose of the
>>> magazines lying around ;-)
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> John - this was my plan too. I have a large pile of them and not much
>> room. Viv
>>

> Me too.  I think I have pretty much all LXFs since issue 13... that's a
> lot of paper!
>
> :)
> Grant.

Much as I admire the venture, and support the aims fully, I feel I
should point out one issue which will cause a problem.  For an archive
to be really useful it would need to be searchable, and *if* [1] the
scans are simply graphics of each page that would make the text content
impossible to search.  That would mean that each article would need to
be read and saved in an appropriately labelled folder which would be
horribly time consuming.  If OCR is planned then that would help the
situation.

Possibly by contacting the publishers (which I believe is planned
anyway) the suggestion could be floated of having any articles they do
still have in electronic copy released as HTML.  I'm assuming that they
possess a certain number of articles still in electronic form, or they
could not produce back copies (unless they just retained a quantity of
unsold ones?).  Possibly they possess more than a year in electronic
form but have never been made aware of a need for them before.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] I'm presuming here