Re: [LUG] OT digital set top boxes

On 4/12/2007, "Paul Sutton" wrote:

>Hi
>
>Just wondered if anyone had any recomendations for digital set top
>boxes,  I would prefer something that has the main channels in order e..g
>
>1. BBC1
>2. bbC 2
>3 itv
>4 channel 4
>5 channel 5
>
>some boxes seem to mix all the channels up,  which is not much use
>really,  the tv listings has a number for each channel that should
>correspond properly with the channel number, and actual channel,
>
>Also just read a review for a bush box,  which got pretty slated, by
>user comments,  and yet in a official review it got 5 stars,  again one
>of the negative comments was that the channels were all mixed up.
>
>Yes I have looked at the which site,  and you have to pay for the
>reviews,  hence I am asking here, for personal experiences /
>recommendations.
>
>thanks
>
>Paul

In my experience, many brands of "DVB SetTop Boxes" actually have the
same,
or very similar firmware. The cheapies from places like Tesco (at least
the cheap one I got from there about a year ago) does indeed put them in
some weird order, but you can (IIRC) change the order in which they
appear.
Yes, it's a pain in the arse and you have to do so every time you 'scan
for new channels' (or whatever) but it works.

Grant.