[LUG] First post - need harware test

Hello lovely people :-)
My first ever post on the DCLUG list!

I wonder if there is anyone in the Truro area that can help test a piece
of hardware - it is a Belkin ieee1394 expresscard.  I have a Dell laptop
which has an expresscard slot and no ieee1394, and I have no other means
of testing the card.  It goes through all the motions of working (with
Ubuntu, this is) and its usb slot works, but trying to access an
external ieee1394 drive I get an I/O error - so I need to try it in a
different (non-Dell) laptop and maybe with a different device (the ext
drive has cheapo Prolific chip).  I have read on one forum that there
may be latency issues with Dell and ieee1394 expresscards, hence my
request.

OAN, I have quite a lot of books I could add to the DCLUG library.  How
does that work then?

Alexis Phoenix