Re: [LUG] re Linux Format Articles

viv wrote:
> There was a message recently about getting a CD of Linux magazines but,
> it was only available in America. It does not appear that it is possible
> to get old copies of Linux Format magazines going back earlier than
> September 2007 and they do not appear to produce an archive CD (I would
> happily buy it if one was available). I would like to make CD of useful
> articles as I have magazines going back more than 1 year, by scanning
> the most useful ones. However, if I wanted to share these with the rest
> of you, would this be a breach of copyright ? They have produced some
> really useful articles that are no longer available and would be useful
> for people new / newish to Linux today.
>
> Viv

Have you tried to contact the publishers to ask,   I am sure most won't
mind as long as your not making lots of money from the venture,  and it
puts the magazine in good light,  they may even ask for some help with
collating scans of magazines.   I think past experience with these
things has shown if you ask first you get a better response, as it shows
you respect their copyright.   In which case they are more likely to
give a positive response then they would if they have to ask or order
you to stop when they discover you are distributing articles from their
magazine without permission.

Perhaps the following is related

http://www.wormux.org/wiki/en/documents.php#Team17

They look as if they aprecitate the gpl developers being up front,

Before you do ask, how many people here would be interested in a
official archive cdrom,  if you can ask armed with a good reponse to
that, that demonstrates demand,  they may go ahead and produce one,  I
know Linux magazine has an archive, thats free on their website.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
11th November. Penzance Computers meet
Lostwithel meeting part 2, - watch this space.
details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug