Re: [LUG] Gnome, GTK, firefox file associations

On 30/11/2007, Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been using the adobe pdf viewer plugin for firefox for a long time
> because of this, but it takes up so much memory that something has to be
> done.
>
> Now I have removed adobe, the only option to open PDF files is with GV
> (which isn't adequate), or else save them to disk and open them manually
> (this is an unnecessary irritation). I want to change the associations
> for most other apps as well whilst I'm at it.
>
> I've looked all over the 'net and cannot find how to change the gnome
> file associations anywhere. Anyone know how this is done? I ran
> gnome-control-center and gnome-default-applications-properties, but
> those are an abomination- what's the point in an application association
> dialog which only lists web, email and terminal?
>
> Any ideas where to change this?
> Thanks.
> Simon
>
> --

How old is your Gnome install?

Dont you have evince (Document Viewer installed)

Assuming your gnome is anything in the last three years, this is how
you change file associations

right-click on on file, choose properties and click open with tab,
then select appropriate app (the radio button shows default - click to
change)

Also to just alter for file right-clickand open with