Re: [LUG] Asus, again

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 14:06, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Quoting Clare Shepherd <clareeshepherd@xxxxxxx>:
>> We all can sleep easy now, I've lost countless hours sleep over this issue.
> not quite...
> quote from Groklaw:
> ---------------------------------------
> PJ: Actually, no. My understanding is that they need to get permission from
> the authors of the code to be able to redistribute that code again under the
> GPLv2. It's not automatic. Perhaps they have done so. If not, they would, I
> believe, remain out of compliance.
> ---------------------------------------
> I'd get up and have a large single malt to calm myself down over that one!
> Tom te tom te tom

Do you have a link?

Are Asus trying to get GPLv3 code re-licensed as GPLv2?

As far as I understood it, if you made changes to the code you had to
release those changes under the same licence (so if it's GPL3 code you
can release binaries but have to make the changes available for anyone
who requests it), and you can't re-licence some GPL3 code as GPL2 or
GPL2 code as GPL3 unless you get permission from everyone who has
contributed.

I can't understand how they aren't complying with the GPL now, if
they've made the source code available for anyone that wants it (unless
they've taken a bit of GPL'd code modified it and now want to release it
under a different licence?)

Rob