Re: [LUG] Python OOP

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:56:49 +0000
Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure that OOP will suddenly "click". It took me a while to really get
> it. Now it is second nature.
>
> OO was heralded as the silver bullet of the 1990s. It is not, of course. Much
> of it is over used and results in clumsy contrived code. Java suffers from
> this, as you can only have objects in Java. C++, which also allows mixed
> procedural / OO code, can be pretty horrible.
>
> Python is a good one to start with because it is elegantly simple, and does
> not force you to use OOP; you can happily mix in procedural code.
>
> It does have some oddities, such as the ability to bind methods to instances
> of objects, rather than the class. That is very weird if you come from a
> statically typed language background.
>
> The Python tutorial at http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html is as good a place
> to start as any. Don't worry too much about the OO stuff. It will come to
> you.

I have looked at that, and I will have another go.

> In Python (one of the things it is criticised for) you pass around an
> explicit "self" pointer ("this" in C++ etc.). This, in fact, makes it easier
> to see what is going on in terms of classes.
>
> What languages have you used before? And, as Tom asks, what are you trying to
> do with it?

Don't make me give away how old I am!! I started with Basic, many years
ago. I also at work used a language called Prosper, which no one has
ever heard of. I used Forth for a while, and I did a lot of database
programming in Paradox, using the PAL Paradox Application Language. I
did try Perl but did not take to it. I tried Python, as a procedural
language, and like it a lot.

Why do  I need to learn a bit about OOP. Well, I have started looking
at wxPython now and that is all about OOP. When you 'import wx' you are
actually importing a load of classes, not modules, or so is seems to
me. So to get somewhere with it I need to get my head around OOP.

Sigh, never mind. I will get there

Neil