Re: [LUG] Asus EEPC - naughty naughty!!

On Sunday 25 November 2007 19:22, Simon Waters wrote:
> Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> > Whilst it's a good thing that companies are starting to ship end-user
> > machines with GNU/Linux preinstalled, doing so without complying with the
> > licences is not only no better than only shipping Windows, it's worse as
> > it runs counter to the main aim of free software.
>
> I'm not sure it is worse, but no one is arguing that they should comply
> with the licence. Merely that folks shouldn't jump to conclusions based
> on some random blog, when the company may not have had time to respond.
I'm certainly not going to rush out and buy a competitor product.
I think Asus will comply with the GPL and when they do they will be be back at
the top of my desired toys list. But NOT until they do. To me the GPL is as
important as a warranty. The fact they haven't complied with it worries me
from a 'quality' point of view - if they haven't got the code up on their web
site perhaps they don't know whats on their machine...
Tom te tom te tom