Re: [LUG] Whatever you want, within reason, can be bought at eBay.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:56:55 +0000
Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

> > It seems that the missing data WRT 25 million Brits has been found.
> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290184203092
> "This listing has been removed by eBay" - I'm guessing not.

Yes, they were pretty quick at that one.

> What was it?

Recently, two CDs were lost in transit from one govt. department to
another.  They contained data relating to child benefit payments and
what-not.  The data included information about some 25 million people.

The listing on eBay (obviously a spoof) was for two CDs carrying "some
data".  When I saw it, the bid price was £9999.99.

There was also a warning that anyone from a government department who
entered a bid may have it withdrawn if certain competency requirements
(it was not stated what they were, however) could not be met.

--
 Regards  _

You destroyed my confidence, you broke my nerve
Nervous Wreck - Radio Stars