Re: [LUG] Fedora 8

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:16 +0000, Jason Witcher wrote:
> On 20/11/2007, James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         (Hint for anyone
>         considering installing Fedora 8: Don't.)
> Any particular reason? I'd be particularly interested to find out why
> not as I was planning to install it on my laptop and would have if it
> didn't have an iffy CD/DVD drive!

I'd say do it! I'm running Fedora 8 x86_64 (installed from live cd) on
my laptop: wireless worked out of the box, accelerated graphics out of
the box, it's fast, up to date, stable, all in all the best distribution
I've ever used.

Saying all that, I do have intel hardware so good hardware support was
bound to happen! If you have nvidia/ati or some proprietary wireless
chipsets, just install the livna package and it will add livna to your
repositories where you can simply do a yum install of all the bits and
bobs you need, including media codecs etc! The nice thing about livna is
it's compatible with the official fedora repos so you don't need to
worry about conflicts :D

I'd also be interested to hear why James thinks you shouldn't install
it? Lol, each to their own I guess!

Jon