Re: [LUG] lvm or md

Hi stinga,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:20:50AM +0000, stinga wrote:
> Moving my mythtv setup from analouge to Satellite, now the files sizes
> are a bit larger, so I need more disk space.
>
> Am I better using lvm or md to tie disks together?

They are different things so my answer is generally "both".

Every time you add an extra disk the rate of failure of the group
goes up - a filesystem across 2 disks is less reliable than a
filesystem across one.

md makes block devices redundant.  lvm lets you manage logical
volumes on block devices but provides no redundancy[*].  Most people
want to do both.

What's your configuration now and what sort of configuration are you
looking to move to?

Cheers,
Andy

[*] While LVM "mirror" mode does let you make a redundant mirror, it
    is not a mature solution and does not seamlessly survive a
    device failure.

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB