Re: [LUG] Official response on OpenSource in Devon

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Information request reference: 101000195219
>
> Thankyou for your request for information.  You asked for information
> regarding a review of Microsoft Office software used by Devon County
> Council, linked to efficiency.  I am able to provide the following
> response:
>
> Devon County Council is part of a South West Consortium of Local
> Authorities, for which there is currently a procurement project to
> create a Framework Agreement for the supply of computer hardware,
> software, peripherals and related services.  The project plan shows a
> completion of March 2008.
> Devon County Council procurement policy mandates the consideration of
> Open Source options.
> It is anticipated that a review of the Office Suite will commence second
> quarter of 2008.
>
> I hope that this information is of use to you.
>
> Your right to complain
>
> If for any reason you are not satisfied with how your request has been
> handled, please write to Devon County Council's Freedom of Information
> Office, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QJ or complete the
> on-line complaint form that can be found at www.devon.gov.uk.
>
> If your complaint is not resolved to your complete satisfaction, you
> have the right to refer the matter to the Information Commissioner's
> Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
>
> Re-use of information
>
> The information supplied to you continues to be protected by the
> Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. You are free to use it for your
> own purposes, including any non-commercial research you are doing and
> for the purposes of news reporting. Any other re-use, for example
> commercial publication, would require the permission of the copyright
> holder. Most documents supplied by Devon County Council will have been
> produced by local officials and will be our copyright. If you would like
> to re-use any of the information which has been supplied to you, please
> contact us.
>
> Information you receive which is not subject to our copyright continues
> to be protected by the copyright of the person, or organisation, from
> which the information originated. You must ensure that you gain their
> permission before reproducing any information.
>

> --
> Henry
> Mon Nov 19 08:36:23 GMT 2007

I can't help but think that those on the panel doing the review will not
be used to Open Source software and decide that they prefer Microsoft
software because they know it.  Could be wrong though, maybe they'll
look at it with an open view and consider the cost benefits (even using
StarOffice would probably be cheaper than MS Office).

Rob