[LUG] OT: Why oh why windows at work? . . . File copying

Hi Folks,

Here's an annoying one...I have 502 folders:

c:/a bit of a path/dir1
containing various files, amongst them 20-30 jpg's

c:/a bit of a path/dir2
containing various files, amongst them 20-30 jpg's

etc.

I need to copy them like so:

d:/20071109/backup1
containing 1000 jpg's found amongst the above

d:/20071109/backup2
containing 1000 jpg's found amongst the above

etc (but with a lot less directories and nothing but jpg's)

the best I have achieved:

I can manually mess about for ages dragging bunches of files from
windows search, but this takes time and it looks like I'll have to do
this quite often, so a bat file would be a timesaver.  All the files
will always be in the same place (source).

using xcopy or robocopy:

d:/20071109/dir1  <----old directory name from source
20-30 jpg's from the source folder over on c:

d:/20071109/dir2
20-30 jpg's from the source folder over on c:

etc.

Under Linux, probably not such a big deal, what with the ability to |
the results of one op to the next etc, I'm sure I'd work something
out.

Any ideas without having to delve into filesystemobject and *shudders*
visual basic?  Have I missed something mind-numbingly simple that will
have me pulling my eyes out with a corkscrew?