Re: [LUG] Microsoft muscles in on low-cost laptops

Rob Beard wrote:
> Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>>> Nope, from my experiences of Vista, it takes a quick machine and makes
>>> it run like a 286.
>>>
>> A friend of mine repairs PCs and he had a laptop in to have some
>> software installed on it (I know.. but if they want to pay for such a
>>

> I must admit, if I'm ever in the market to buy myself a laptop (i.e.
> with my own money) I'll get a Dell with Ubuntu, unless I can find one
> without an OS.
>
> Rob

There's an outfit called Novatec (with whom I have no connection other
than have purchased some stuff from them), they offer machines with and
without OS (no linux offering though). They build their own branded
machines, will happily repair/upgrade stuff running linux (unlike an
other well known retail outlet) and  seem to be generally OK.

OK commercial over.........

--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk