Re: [LUG] GnuCashConverters

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:08:46 +0000
"Ben Goodger" <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 31/10/2007, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Having gone blind using my computer - gnucash accounts this time - I
> > need to
> > > convert them to something the 'real' world can use.
> > > I've tried GnuCashtoQif which seems to work for a QIF file which you can
> > > headbut into KMyMoney OK but not sure my accountant is reading it
> > properly...
> > > Anyone know of other converters to other formats?
> >
> > None that gnucash supports particularly well, no.
>

> What other formats are there, in fact?

QSF XML - a generic XML format for any application using the QOF
library which was spun out from gnucash. Unfortunately, gnucash retains
an internal version of QOF which isn't fully compatible and QOF support
within gnucash is incomplete. QSF is used by pilot-qof and is available
with gpe-expenses etc. Several XSL stylesheets already exist, perl
bindings are available as well as the C support via libqof1.

CSV (yuk)

GnuCash XML (worse) - this is the actual data but the XML is awful and
very hard to parse except when doing it precisely as gnucash does it.

Any format would be possible if only gnucash used a sane XML by default.

--

Neil Williams