Re: [LUG] Laptop & wirless config

Kevin

>> I cant get the onboard bcm43xx wirless to connect to a network even
>>though the firmware is installed ok and the output from iwscan gives the
>>network name I want to attach to but putting in the Config in iwconfig
>>the ifconfig wlan0 up gets nothing?

I've just been battling a bcm43xx on my HP laptop which I've just
installed with Gutsy. There seems to be lots of issues with the bcm43xx
support.

I've experienced similar issues with it (sort of) loading the
drivers/modules but none of the KDE tools would allow it to connect to a
wifi network even though it could be seen.

In the end I ditched native support and went for ndiswrapper. For me, I
just installed the x2 ndiswrapper packages along with ndisgtk (a debian
package supplying an ndis configuration gui), downloaded and extracted the
latest Windows drivers for the bcm43xx and ran the ndisgtk app (sudo
ndisgtk --kde).

In an added complication with my laptop, I also have to run a couple of
commands each time I boot to get the bcm43xx to switch on:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
sudo ifup eth01

Apparently, Gutsy & Feisty have trouble with the ndiswapper aliasing not
being loaded properly and requires a modification to /etc/modules (see [
http://www.hostingforum.ca/803969-ubuntu-gutsy-ndiswrapper.html]). I've
not done this yet, it might help me...

Martin