Re: [LUG] OT: "Bloody' Microsoft

On 10/25/07, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If it's not a crime then why are there laws preventing it?  You don't
> need laws to tell people not to do something if it is legal to do so.
> The answer would seem self evident.

OK I assumed you understood this and obviously that was a mistake so
I'll start from the basics.

See, there are two kinds of law - civil and criminal (well, and equity
but we can ignore that for now). Criminal law deals with things like
theft, murder, etc, these kinds of things are called "crimes". Civil
law deals with things like breach of contract, negligence, trespass,
etc, these kinds of things are called "torts".

Sometimes a single act might be both a tort and a crime: for example
"criminal negligence" (a crime) by it's nature must also be ordinary
"negligence" (a tort). Most negligence though is simply that and not
criminal negligence. Sometimes whether something is a crime or a tort
can depend on lots of different factors like someones state of mind at
the time.

You can be sued for compensation if you commit a tort, you can be
prosecuted and punished if you commit a crime. You cannot be
prosecuted and punished for a tort. Signs saying "Trespassers will be
prosecuted" are therefore wrong (deliberate bluff) they should say
"Trespassers will be sued".

Copyright infringement is a tort except in very specific circumstances
where it becomes criminal copyright infringement - those very specific
circumstances are a million miles away from using a downloaded copy of
Windows because the one you bought stopped working.

There is no law to prevent you from committing a tort, that's
something you're allowed to do the law only says that the injured
party can sue you if they want to.

You're allowed to commit (civil) copyright infringement, THERE IS NO
LAW THAT SAYS YOU CAN'T the law merely says injured party can sue for
compensation.

> The law recognises the concept of IP.  Your decision not to is up to you.

You're almost getting close to being right here but no biscuit. The
phrase is being used in courts recently and there is a danger that it
might become accepted. The legal concept of "property" is very
complicated and a sufficiently woolly minded judge might accept
copyright as being property for legal purposes. Fortunately we still
have some sharp minds amongst the law lords and we can only hope
they'd reverse any such stupidity.

> > It's copyright infringement.
> >
> Also depriving them of income (as I have already stated) as they have
> not been paid for the license to use the software.

If they feel they've been deprived of income let them sue for
compensation. In this specific case however - having already been paid
for a licence . . .

Regards,

Trewornan