Re: [LUG] Ubuntu / Kubuntu 7.10 - have you taken the plunge ?

> On Sunday 21 October 2007 12:36, Viv wrote:
>> Has anyone else upgraded yet ? Any thoughts / problems ?

I've not upgraded but I have done a clean install of 64bit ubuntu. Very
impressed with it so far - the whole desktop environment seems more
integrated now. I've just stuck with the default apps, so instead of
amarok I'm using rhythmbox and in place of Thunderbird I'm using evolution
and I see no reason to change this (maybe that's why it feels more
integrated?). It boots up and shuts down a lot quicker now too.
It's the first time I've gone to 64bit without any problems - my wireless
cards work, Flash works, and with a bit of fiddling I've got TwonkyMedia
to work too (had to install IA32-libs for that one though).
The only issue I've found is, with the desktop effects set to max I find
that the top bar of a window occasionally loses its colour in the top half
but if you move the mouse over the buttons in the corner the colour comes
back.
I would really recommend installing the latest version. I can't comment on
what it would have been like to upgrade though.
Now I just need to figure out the best way to open up some ports to the
rest of my network, I've used firestarter before - is this the correct way
to go about this?
Cheers,
Matt.