Re: [LUG] One ISP or more?

On 10/16/07, Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:15:42PM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Some questions that I have been asked recently made me wonder, is my
> > set-up unusual?
> >
> > I use one ISP for broadband only.
> >
> > I use a different one for email
> >
> > and another one for my website. I use this one for email as well so
> > that if one fails I can use the other one.
>
> I think it's generally the best thing to do.  If you buy your own
> domain name then you have far more control over how your email and
> web site is provisioned and you don't have to beholden to your
> access provider of the moment.
>
> It needn't be expensive or difficult to have your email and web site
> hosted somewhere; such services are very cheap now, plus there is
> also the whole virtualisation thing.  Also for many people hosting
> their web site and email at the end of their DSL is a reasonable
> setup, though it has some pitfalls.

I run a webserver on the company broadband, and it works well. We tend
to use it for test sites and a few personal sites, nothing high volume
and its great. Main company site is on a proper web host provider
which gives much faster response that the DSL just can't compete with
(with poxy 512Mbs uploads).

But the websites hosted here have their own domain names that are
pointed to my broadband address so if i change provider its just a
case of either updating the DNS or moving the website hosting.

I do also run the incomming email server here as well. It gives me
much finer control for spam filtering having the smtp connections
coming to me rather than being blindly excepted and forwarded to me,
access to message envelope etc.

Robin