Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 08:36, Viv wrote:
> It seems that now we will be getting access to BBC IPLayer if we want it
> (by the end of the year) !

> Does this mean that the "minority" MAC and Linux users are now numerous
> enough that the big corporations are taking notice of us ?
>
> Viv
I think its a useful step forward but its fairly clear from the article that
they still don't have a clue.
I think the fact that MAC and Linux users are a bit more vocal probably
carries the day - more MAC graphic lovies from within the BBC than vocal
FLOSS peeps too I would guess. They don't seem to have a clue about the
pointlessness of DRM and usefulness of open standards. I can download it and
keep if for a month - whoopie! I bet it will require a very recent
distribution so I'll be better off spending a few quid on a card and
recording anything that looks interesting for posterity.
The bit that amuses me in the article is the FreeView spectrum bit at the
bottom. Its the old more bandwidth cry - even though they don't seem to have
enough data to fill the two channels I watch without serious uncompression.
Tom te tom te tom