Re: [LUG] Root device has become read only?!!

Simon Williams wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
>> Since the disk would be made read-only on a fault, fsck will show
>> errors, as the disk wasn't cleanly unmounted. More crucial is are any of
>> the errors the kind that wouldn't be caused by unclean shutdown. i.e.
>> Bad block, or other serious errors.
>
> Fixed. Filesystem errors were the cause. Since the hard disk has been
> swapped around between several systems and had a few very unclean
> shutdowns I'm not really surprised.
>
> I now have two root partitions so I can boot one to fix the other. I
> think I'm going to setup a read-only fsck cron job as well.

Hmmm. My cron job is now reporting more errors on almost all of my
filesystems. The other thing is- whenever I run fsck on any system I get
errors, which begs the question: How do you get filesystem errors on a
Linux machine, other than an unclean shutdown or faulty disk?

Here are some of the errors I am getting now:
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
Inode 424121 was part of the orphaned inode list.
Entry 'cron.simon.17013' in /tmp (516865) has deleted/unused inode
516881.  Clear?
Block bitmap differences:  -430040 +856340 -858139 -866307 -1075364
Fix?
Free blocks count wrong (136636, counted=131791)
Free blocks count wrong for group #32 (1, counted=0).
Free inodes count wrong (13972953, counted=13972211).

The orphan linked list ones are the ones I particularly get all the time
on any system (closely followed by the free blocks count being wrong)-
is this normal or something?

Thanks
Simon