Re: [LUG] OT: NGN

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:38:09 +0100
Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes I will probably get told off for this but what the hell..

Nah - you used the correct OT prefix so there's no objections from this
side of the river.

> Petition to have doctors surgeries NOT use NGNs

NGN - non-geographic telephone numbers. Yes, just like the ones that
your bank uses and which could be located in another county, another
country, another timezone.

<rant>
Some surgeries already use touchtone menu systems which simply drive
people nuts and waste more time than simply being on hold. After all,
if it's just muzak, we can stick it on speaker phone and get on with
other things - when the £"$% thing keeps on giving more and more menus,
(or worse, threatening to cut your off if you don't press a button) it
ties up a real person. Plus we get complaints from the public that the
staff spend all day on their mobile phones when actually they are using
cordless phones trying to resolve a problem for the customer in front of
them in the queue. (Mobiles aren't allowed.)
</rant>

(Signed in my professional capacity as someone who needs to contact a
couple of dozen different surgeries each week either personally or
through staff under my supervision and who should be doing more
worthwhile things than standing around pressing touch tone buttons.)

--

Neil Williams