[LUG] copying hidden directory to usb stick

Hello all

I am having another go at what my friend did for me a few weeks ago
using the command line. He copied my .evolution directory to a portable
drive and I reloaded it into a clean install. I want to try this again
to see if I can overcome an intermittently erratic boot plus a sync
problem with evolution. It is possible reformatting will do the trick.

In directory james I tried
sudo cp -a .evolution /media/disk
and it tells me
"cp: failed to preserve ownership for '/media/disk/.evolution/<contents
of directory>': Operation not permitted" for most files.

(It is the correct location as I did a test copy of a non-hidden file).

How can I do this?

Many thanks
--
James Kilty