[LUG] Worst install ever

Well it was for me anyway.

I would just like to point out this is a freakish load of bad luck, I
think it was destiny that this should not work.

No space left on old drives at all, no cd drive overheated and died.
Nice unused 250GB SATA drive available. Want to do an AMD64 install

<rant>

Tried to boot a debian installer of a USB stick, seems the kernel for
hd-media boots could not see the SATA (scsi) devices, arrrg.

Ok no floppy either, doh! Ok netboot by PXE, ok got this working after
a fashion because tftpd does not support tsize and tftdp-hpa  would
not play. But first hit an issue that neither of my built in ethernet
ports would boot (not in boot menu) but leagcy lan cards was, ok
install 3COM card and off we go.

Half way through first install, 3COM card throws a load of errors to
do with interrupts, arrrgg. Switch network ports and by the power of
the debian installer we just continued.

So we get to the boot loader install. Big red screen, Install step
failed. try lilo as well .. no failed as well. Oh Crap. Hmm perhapses
this is to do with the fact i was trying LVM. So i started again. (in
fact had a few different plays at this) Until last night i left it
installing on a manually partitioned drive no LVM etc. So this morning
i finish off the install, Grub appears ok this time but completely
fails to boot when reset.

OMG!. So we spark up the laptop with dhcpd and tftp on it to reboot
and load a rescue image, so we get in to the correct partition and try
to play with grub. grub-install /dev/sda . Cannot read
/boot/grub/stage2  (or something very like that).

Grubs having none of it, will not install on any other drive either.
Lets try lilo, apt-get install lilo. Install of lilo failed unknown
term "bterm". This is getting very silly now. Messed around with TERM
env and got lilo to install. Installed to HD got a whole bunch of
warnings about geometry and lo and behold it failed to boot with a MBR
message that googling only found others with the same message.

Ok back to grub, more googling on the laptop.. try the grub shell,
after identifying my partitions into grubs idea of them turns out it
was hd(2,0) managed to load grub on to the MBR manually from the grub
shell. Ok reboot and dropped into grub shell. Ok at least we have
booted from the SATA drive. Turns out menu.lst was missing from
/boot/grub/ Install menu.lst infact there was one originally but i got
into a mess by reinstalling grub from apt but i had a backup of the
menu.lst so that was fine. Reboot again grub menu appears, yay, select
my new AMD64 kernel.. no such file...NO! NO!. After manually trying to
load kernels from the grub shell got the kernel to boot but could not
mount root due to no SATA drives being brought up. After further grub
fiddling turns out the root now hd(0,0), changed that and we
booted.... yay!

Conclusions..

There is a big bad bug in the grub-installer script that fails to do
something important in this situation. The rest was just bad luck

</rant>

Robin