Re: [LUG] Dozing server

James Wonnacott wrote:

> Every 15 minutes or so it refuses (or drops existing) connections (smtp,
> pop3, ssh) pings become slow (anything from 1-100ms). tailing syslog or
> messages suggests that nothing is happening, top shows nothing special.
> then after about 5 minutes it just comes back and pretends nothing
> happened. pings to it return in <1ms and all is fine and dandy again.

Check /var/log/syslog for kernel or module errors. Linux documents many
types of hardware failure there as well as dmesg.

If it's headless, I've used the following script to mail myself a top
stat every minute to track down processes using too many resources when
balancing servers.

[crontab]
* * * * * /root/grab-top.sh

[/root/grab-top.sh]