[LUG] Cloning ALSA device

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of setting up a Linux box running Ubuntu which will
record the audio on it's line input at specific times (controled by a
cron job).

The thing is, I need it to be able to stream the audio using icecast
whilst also recording it in WAV format.

Now this would work fine with two sound cards but this machine only
has one card.  I was reading up about creating a 'slave' device with
Alsa.  I've managed to create a slave device but I can only record
from one device at once so I can either run arecord to capture the
audio as WAV or run icecast.  When I try and run both at once it
complains about the device being in use.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get around this?

Could I possibly use a named pipe and just cat from /dev/dsp to a
named pipe and then run cat on this named pipe to a file (to capture
the raw audio for later conversion to WAV) and also play the contents
of the pipe through mplayer?

If anyone could help it would be really handy.

Ta,

Rob