Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install taking ages

On 09/09/2007, Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since Arch Linux isn't really suited to someone new to Linux my dad has
downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu (7.04). About 3 hours ago he
booted the CD. After quite a long time (30mins to an hour) it had
finished loading gnome. Knoppix doesn't take more than a couple of
minutes at most, so what was Ubuntu doing to take that long to boot?
Right near the end there was one error about not being able to find a
gnome panel applet, but I don't think it was a problem.

Anyway, we clicked the install icon on the desktop, and it's been
chugging away on the hdd and cd drive for 2 hours or more now and still
hasn't finished. The screen blanked out for powersave, but I can't get
it back now. The install is still going though.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS IT DOING!?!?!?!

Most likely it is eating all your RAM.
How much do you have?

NB: Debian's installer does not eat all your RAM.

--
Benjamin F. Goodger
~ design and ideas lab ~