Re: [LUG] metal recycling (silver from cd roms)

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Thursday 06 September 2007 17:31, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> something has occured to me, when looking at posts relating to giving
>> away magazines  / cdroms
>>
>> I think a few recycling companies pay money for people who collect
>> aluminium can's (good for charities),  Just wondered if any collect cd's
>> to extract the silver metal (more valuable in some cases), from cd's  as
>> this could be a good fund raiser,  for either a ) the lug or partner
>> organisations,  if there are such companies I am sure as a lug,  we have
>> lots of cd's we could donate,  which in turn could raise money for
>> related causes,  e.g ukfsn,  which gives grants for project,
>>

>> so the lug collect,  cd's,  we get the money from them,  give this to
>> the ukfsn (or similar charity),  and we oursleves can apply for grants,
>> from that for    specific projects,
>>
>> not sure if this would work,  not sure how much silver is in recordable
>> cd's  but i have lots here,  and most are so out of date, (normal cd's)
>> there must be quite a lot of silver.
>>
>> anyone got any suggestions, or live near a company that does this,  and
>> could approach to see if they can help or would be interested,  after
>> all both sides benefit, here.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Aren't cds aluminium rather than silver, in a thin film between polycarbonate?
> As far as I am aware, there is no silver in a cd - but I could be wrong!
>
> Mark

Not sure,  either way Al or Ag,  its valuble metal resource,   its just
an idea

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events

15th September 2007 - Software Freedom Day
20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting.
18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
28th October - Penzance Computers meet
11th November. Penzance Computers meet

details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.

visit us on IRC - irc.phractured.net / 6667 #dclug