Re: [LUG] McAfee

Peter

As a Home user of Windows, you can use AVG which has a very good
reputation and offers a Free version of their AV to home users.

Alternatively you could go for an Open Source solution with ClamWin. This
is a proper Windows port of the linux Clam AV tools. ClamWin is fairly
well integrated into Windows, has automatic updates but does not do
real-time file checking (ie. if you download a file, you have to manually
scan it).

I'm currently testing Comodo AV which offers free software to both home
users and business. It has it's own share of critics but so far my testing
of v2 has been favourable.

I think what concerns me most about these small footprint, free offerings
is where the revenue comes from to fund good quality and timely Virus
patches. Not so much a problem for AVG (since they have a stream from
business users) but ClamWin and Comodo has me scratching my head...

Mart