Re: [LUG] USB EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES IN LINUX

christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "Berry Christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Does anybody use one, or have experience of an external USB HD in Linux? It seems,
> from what I have read on the web to be far from successful in Linux - 'won't work'
> or 'very slow' keeps cropping up on the sites I have visited! Are these folks out
> of line?
> Sincerely,
> Grandad Berry.
I recently (last week) purchased a 160gb USB HDD from pcworld... works a
treat in XP and Linux... I would recommend the use of USB2 if possible,
as it is much better and faster than the old 1.1..

As for other people reporting issues remember this...

Someone has a problem, they tell 5 mates about it who in turn tell 5
mates.. (etc etc..)

Someone has success.. they tell 2 mates..

People with a problem are very quick to whinge and whine, we all do it,
however someone with a success story will very rarely post a discussion
thread, forum post or start up an IRC conversation about it..

I hope this clears a few things up...

Neil S