Re: [LUG] USB EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES IN LINUX

> Does anybody use one, or have experience of an external USB HD in Linux? It seems,
> from what I have read on the web to be far from successful in Linux - 'won't work'
> or 'very slow' keeps cropping up on the sites I have visited! Are these folks out
> of line?

I don't think it should be a problem if it's just a straight forward
USB drive....plug it in and it will be mounted as a volume on the
desktop just like any external drive. I suppose you might have a
problem if it was NTFS formatted but you can easily reformat to
another file system, or install NTFS software (which exists in a lot
of repositories).

Speed I presume depends on the USB interface - USB 2.0 in my
experience is incredibly fast! No reason it should be slower/faster in
GNU/Linux than in Windows.

I hope this information is of some use - I'm sure others on the list
are far more knowledgable about me Re: this kind of thing!

Jon