Re: [LUG] samba access to ubuntu linux directory from windows

> Hello folks.
>
> I've set up a linux laptop running Ubuntu and want to access its files
> from a windows network via samba.  Unfortunately I've little idea what I
> am doing.  I have shared a folder and can see it from the linux side as
> part of the windows "HOME" workgroup.  (Wish I'd kept the workgroup's
> name as MSHOME but there you go).  I can also see the share under
> windows but when I try to open it I am prompted for a password which is
> not recognised.

1. You should be able to rename the Linux box's workgroupname without any
real issues...

2. smbpasswd -a username (iirc) will add a given user account to the samba
password list

> I imagine I need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf somehow but apart from
> correcting the workgroup name as above I am not clear how to go about it
> as I know nothing about authentication protocols.

There is a lot of documenation on http://www.samba.org/ that should help..
however the above two notes should help...

HTH

If you need more guidance, drop in to #DCLUG on irc.flashtek-uk.com
sometime..