Re: [LUG] Corrupted XP Disk

Richard Brown wrote:

> I have a corrupted XP disk. Sounds like OT - don't worry it's not. I
> don't know how to repair it using xp repair console so I thought it
> would be easier to mount the drive in a Debian box and then extract
> the data and then simply reformat. Trouble is I don't know how to do
> that either! Hence the question, how do I do that please?

If it is badly corrupted, the best bet is one of the proprietary Windows
recovery tools, or a service that does same.

If it just won't boot, it may be the file system and disk are fine, and
that software just messed up. Then one can boot in anything that can
read NTFS, which would include Ubuntu Live CDs.

I've done the Ubuntu live CD, and copy to an external USB drive before,
it is pretty much drag and drop.