[LUG] paniclog

I got a strange email message on 31 July from root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

  "exim paniclog /var/log/exim4/paniclog on whittycat has non-zero size,
   mail system might be broken"

'whittycat' is the hostname of one of the PCs on the network and the file
/var/log/exim4/paniclog contains this:

  "2007-07-11 22:58:38 socket bind() to port 25 for address 127.0.0.1 failed:
   Cannot assign requested address: daemon abandoned"

I'm afraid I don't understand what is happening here. Mail on that PC
seems to be working normally and the loopback device is set up in the
usual way. Could someone explain please? Why would loopback fail? Is
it something I need to worry about? Why did root wait from 11 July to
31 July before saying anything?

Tony Sumner