[LUG] Web pages manipulations server side was Re: Mass editing text files?

Tom Potts wrote:

> I got a bit of a shock finding that there is so little DOM processing stuff
> server side!

CPAN has shed loads. As they say in Perl - there is more than one way to
do it, and more than one DOM-like module, and more than one HTML parsing
module.

One of my current projects is using HTML::TokeParser, the clever stuff
here (read not done by Simon) is using HTML::TreeBuilder which uses
TokeParser underneath.

> I wrote a web site tidier upper using MS.NET and IE plugin for a job I had -
> give it a site URL and it would go over the whole site and find errors of all
> kinds  and even run TIDY to generate a cleaned up version, stuck it on
> sourceforge ..
> And Nobody Came!

Nick, out on the moor, offers folks this service, and similar, but he
wrote his own software to do it in Apache years ago using libxml2 and
friends. Checkout Web Valet, and Accessibility proxy. He also did a lot
of work with the W3 in this area, and reports he is doing a lot with
Apache (not just writing books on the topic).

The Apache Modules Book: Application Development with Apache (Prentice
Hall Open Source Software Development Series)  by Nick Kew (Paperback -
Jan 26, 2007)

He didn't mention if writing books is a good way of getting business or not.

Maybe you came late to that party, but Nick can usually be persuaded to
attend LUG meets if he'll meet like minded folk, especially if it
doesn't involved travelling too far.