Re: [LUG] Small Magazine

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 16:34, peter wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 14:39 +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > If your not selling to all the members perhaps it would be better as a
> > web site - do it as HTML. This is a much nicer format for viewing
> > onscreen. If people want to print they can print the pages they want and
> > not.
>
> Ha, I tried selling the idea of passing the draft around electronically,
> but the reply is "I may be a Ludite but I far prefer reading
> manuscript".
This can be used to tip them into the 20th century - make them print their own
copy. Theres something about being handed a printed copy that massages an
ego.
In companies where I've worked and we've managed to persuade people that they
have to print their own - and given them all the facilities necessary - then
they adapt pretty quickly. I used to have to take a 1200 page report to
someone in finance every day - I'd seen him dump it without reading many
times. He was insistent he needed it so we set him up with facilities to
print it himself. He was caught sabotaging this!

> So would I if I did not have all the hassle of producing it!
Thats because people prepare documents for printing. Contents with page
numbers and ditto indexes that should really be hyperlinks! If you prepare
them for the web - freeflowing html that you can print perfectly well - then
people can read them on the web and will slowly get used to doing so -
especially if they have to get up to get to the printer!
Tom te tom te tom