Re: [LUG] Photo management- JPEG attributes

On Monday 23 July 2007 16:57, Simon Williams wrote:

> 1. The collection has been taken by about 7 different cameras at various
> times. Since the actual file creation and modification times are going
> to be wrong (due to copying them around), I need to get at the JPEG time
> stamp (I am seriously hoping everyone had their clocks set right). I
> cannot find any command line programs which will give me the JPEG
> attributes- anyone know of any?

The key term you need to know is 'EXIF' - this is the name for the meta data
stored in JPEGs. In Debian there's a package called 'exif' which provides a
command-line tool to access this information.

> 2. Several of the cameras know which way up they are when they take the
> photo. It seems that they save this as a JPEG attribute and leave the
> picture alone. The konqueror photo viewer and gwenview read this and
> display the photo the right way up, but firefox and other programs do
> not. Using the rotate tools in the konqueror photo manager I can rotate
> 90 degrees in one direction and then rotate back and the image itself is
> rotated and the problem is solved, but to do that for several hundred
> photos manually is silly (this will hopefully be solved at the same time
> as 1).

I suspect ImageMagick can do this for you - it provides a command-line tool
called 'convert' which can do all sorts of photo manipulation. Please do
remember though that in addition to rotating the photo, you need to modify
the EXIF information to reflect the fact that it no longer needs rotating.

HTH,
David.

--
David Johnson