Re: [LUG] Spam increase

stinga wrote:
> Anyone noticed an increase in spam recently?
> At work we /dev/nulled about 97% of the 4 million emails we received
> yesterday.

Over the last week it seems to have become particularly bad, and
SpamAssassin alone hasn't been coping too well.  On one of my
mail servers I've added some tweaks to exim use GeoIP so I can block
entire countries if I wish (though I'm not doing that yet) and
configured it to just reject all connections from hosts in the Spamhaus
PBL.  That seems to have calmed things down a good deal, though a few
are still creeping through, mostly from dynamic ranges that are not in
the PBL.  I'm slightly tempted to set up my own private DNSBL to augment
it.

A quick scan of the logs shows that I'm currently rejecting around
100 connections an hour, with perhaps a couple of messages per hour
being rejected after scanning and hardly any spam actually ending up in
my inbox.

James