Re: [LUG] Samba is signing up for GPL v3

On Thursday 12 July 2007 13:39, Simon Waters wrote:

> NFSv4 happily uses Kerberos with GSS which is exactly the same sort of
> thing that Windows does with CIFS. Stop living in the NFSv2 world ;)

When NFS v4 appeared in Debian I tried to make it work and failed.  It seems a
lot more complicated that previous versions and it just seems a lot easier
and quicker to stick with v3. Maybe I should give it another try.

> Being written by Microsoft does not mean that that it is a bad protocol.
>
> But it is a "bad" protocol, in that it is chatty, complex, difficult to
> understand, and has evolved meanderingly over time, and as a result is
> slow, and with variable quality of interoperability.

I'll have to take your word for that. Jeremy Allison thinks Samba is the best
thing out there, although being the guy who wrote it he may be biased ;-)

> NFS was on the other hand is comparatively lightweight (I can hear older
> folks laughing), based on a couple of relatively clean technologies ONC
> RPC, and VFS. So it was easy to change the behaviour of various layer,
> such as securing ONC RPC.
>
> The problem was getting everyone to play the same way, and interoperably.

One of the reasons I like Samba is that I find it easier to set-up and (more
importantly) make secure. If NFSv4 fixes this, maybe I'll change my mind and
start using NFS more.

Regards,
David.

--