Re: [LUG] Samba is signing up for GPL v3

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 10:58, Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > The important things to remember here are:
> > 1) Samba is a reverse engineering of a proprietary protocol.
> > 2) Novell and M$ are working together to increase M$/Linux interactivity
> > - with the real protocol specs Novell will be able to produce a
> > smaller/tighter/faster integration without referring to Samba code -
> > unless M$ does it for them, or perhaps M$ have already done something in
> > VastaMistake that will prevent Samba catching up (DRM ing something out
> > of malice) They could right this up on proprietary code so they wont give
> > a hoot about GPLn.
>
> I thought the whole point of the GPL is if they make changes to the
> code they have to release those changes under GPL?
No they dont give a s**t about Samba! Microsoft own the protocol - they
already have software for it that is non GPL - they or Novell can modify this
for Linux and keep it proprietary.
They dont need to write anything new - just modify it for Linux and they dont
need to release it under the GPL. Then they just have to make sure that it
interfaces with LGPL2 libraries that dont need updating and Microvell can use
it forever! But I bet it will be Vasta based - they're not going to pay to
allow Linux to talk freely to the competition and they NEED you to upgrade.

> Surely M$ wouldn't go to the trouble of writing something like Samba
> for Linux (using entirely their own code rather than any Samba
> code/GPL'd?)
>
> I also thought the idea of the M$/Novell deal was to improve
> interoperability between Linux and Windows.
>
> > 3) Samba is for communication with a dying computer OS. You should
> > only use it
> > to talk to legacy systems while migrating their users. You wont need to
> > stick it somewhere they have Vasta -they'll be too licensed up to make it
> > worthwhile.
>
> I actually use Samba to share stuff between my desktop
> PC/server/Xbox/work laptop.  Although I'd completely like to get away
> from using Windows, I *have* to use Windows on my work laptop
> (although I do have it dual booting with Ubuntu for when I'm not on
> call).  My other half uses Windows on her laptop and despite me
> moaning about using Windows she is sticking with it.  I can see her
> sticking with Windows until she replaces her laptop which will be a
> couple of years yet.
>
> You may consider Windows as a dying computer OS but it isn't going
> anywhere just yet is it.
A lot of people use windows for the simple reason that 'they use windows' and
that will take a while to die off but it will die off. The other half uses
windows on her laptop but do you need an update of Samba to 'support' her?
No.
Tom te tom te tom