Re: [LUG] running windows programs in Linux

Quoting Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:

> It seems this issue keeps cropping up
>
> what are peoples experience with crossover office,  this is available
> from the Linux emporium and <£30 UKP,  afaik,  and allows running of
> photoshop / MS office under Linux.
>
> it may be a solution,   the fact its non free software should be a side
> issue here,  people NEED to get their work done, in certain packages,
> ok the idea solution is to use a gnu alternative,  but this is not
> always possible,  so I just thought I would mention it,  at the end of
> the day, its not an MS product and if it helps to keep Linux on someones
> desktop then to me thats a good thing,  if it runs well and other people
> see MS office for example running well under Linux,  then that also is a
> good thing.
>
> Paul

I've used a few programs sucessfully on Wine before but there are also
a fair few that have glitches.  When I tried Crossover Office it
worked rather well, but then isn't it mainly aimed at a small range of
popular applications, with other ones not on the list being
'unsupported'.

A lot of the home users I know who use Photoshop, MS Office,
Dreamweaver etc are using pirate copies.  I bet a fair few of them
would switch if they had decent enough help in switching, or like what
I did when I moved over, started running the FLOSS apps on Windows
before moving to Linux entirely.

The other option for those subborn apps is for them to run VMWare
Player and use their existing Windows licence (assuming it's not
Vista, although this could prove to be an issue with Windows XP too
with their new stance on OEM licences being attached to the hardware
itself).

Rob