[LUG] chroot apache, postfix, samba, etc

Hello everyone.
The motherboard on my server died a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I've been out of the country for the last couple of weeks so haven't been able to do anything until now. The idea is to get my PC to take over as server until I can repair or replace the mobo. I've taken the HDD out of the server and attached it to my PC, mounting the whole tree under /mnt/server. Originally I was going to installed apache, samba, etc onto my PC and copy the config files, but that's not really going to be practical (changing all the paths to have the prefix /mnt/server will take too long for starters). I've tried chrooting into /mnt/server and starting processes there, but for some reason they either refuse to start or say they have started and then don't show up. I would use UML, but don't want to have to mess with compiling another kernel.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
Simon