Re: [LUG] Samba is signing up for GPL v3

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 17:30, Rob Beard wrote:
> Just seen on The Register that Samba is signing up for GPL v3 (link
> here: http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/07/10/samba_signs_to_gplv3/)
>
> It looks like anything from Samba 3.2.x onwards will be under GPL3.
> With Samba now being a pretty big part of linking Linux machines to
> Windows and vice versa, does this mean it's going to leave distros
> such as Novell SUSE out in the cold, or would they have to fork the
> Samba code from 3.0.x and maintain their own version of Samba?
>
> Presumably Novell can't use anything licenced under GPL v3 for future
> distro releases because of their link with Microsoft? (or am I
> completely wrong here?).
>
> Rob

I believe that GPLv3 has allowed for the MS/Novell deal. Jeremy stated on
Slashdot that he saw no reason why Novell could not include the GPLv3
licenced Samba in future releases -

"You'll have to ask Novell if they'll include it in SuSE, but I don't see why
not.
Jeremy."

Above quote taken from the /. "discussion" on  Samba and GPLv3 at -
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/09/2224257

Mark